Sunday, March 1, 2015

Mundane Faithfulness

Zechariah 4:6-Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit, says the Lord of hosts.

Almost three years in Africa and I am still finding comfort in this verse. Just today as we were sitting outside sipping our cool soda and savoring every bite of chipsi (French fries), Patrick looked at me and said, "Sometimes I still find it hard to believe that we are eating lunch outside in a village in Africa." It is good for us to still be in awe of what God has asked of us. It is very good to be reminded of God and his enormity. It is extraordinary to have him brush the side of your sunburned cheek with a breeze of warm remembrance. A remembrance of who we serve.   It helps us to be humble when we see the fruit of our labor and hopeful when we see nothing at all. God gives us the assurance that He is saving and transforming lives, ours included. We will not leave the comfort of our secure lives, we will not financially send missionaries, we will not be equipped to suffer, without a firm conviction that God is mighty to save and all His sheep WILL hear his voice.

I think what you would learn from any missionary is that serving overseas is not very glamorous and more mundane than people think. I mean most days I am teaching ABC's and listening to children read. Trust me, I would love to fall into bed every night knowing that I had proclaimed the Gospel to at least 3 Tanzanian people, but I am having to find contentment each day in the fact that I have poured all of my spiritual energy into my own six children. It is a daily struggle for those of us that serve. We pop out of a culture that thrives on results, even in the church, and plop into a place where time and efficiency stand still. It is surreal. God intentionally moves you away from what you think matters and gently leads you by the hand to what matters most, Him. He could care less about numbers, agenda, and productivity. He is a shepherd, gently coaxing us to this pasture and to that pasture, where we pick up one, two, three more sheep before we venture out to graze elsewhere.

So, what keeps us here? Mundane Faithfulness. Day to day living. Grazing and tasting the sweetest grass in the world. (Psalm 34:8). A steady diet of exactly what the Lord provides, when and where He provides it, and a faith in His sovereignty, give us enough confidence to stick around. Trusting the word of God is more than enough to do the work of God. (Psalm 4:5) Knowing and being reminded that our availability to be used by the power of God, is the best fuel for ministry faithfulness.


Until Everyone Has Heard,
Kellee

No comments:

Post a Comment