Saturday, January 26, 2013

Shillings, Mangoes and Peanuts

 Fridays are the day that we walk the kids down to the "MK" school so they can participate in group activities like Art, Music, Bible and P.E. So, Patrick and I began the morning with the usual breakfast routine. On this particular morning, after some incurred disappointments, I was just not feelin' it. I had no desire to be a participant in my life here in Africa. I longed for air-conditioning and something pre-packaged that I could throw on the table for the kids to scarf down before heading to school.  I had to come into my room and ask the Lord to send me some divine revelation that would encourage me to endure/persevere. Patrick offered to walk the older children to school and when he returned we decided to put the twins into one of our wagons and head into town. We were preparing to have a Tanzanian family over to eat, and as usual, we were taking our daily walk into town for supplies. Little did I know how good this trip into town would be.

I thought it would be good to take the twins to meet some of the merchants in town that have offered us so much kindness. I had two places in mind ,so off we went! The first stop was  a lady where I buy my rice, beans, and sugar. On my first meeting with her, after a long conversation, we found that we both had six children. So, we became instant friends. She now not only sells me the above items but she will go out of her way to help me get everything on my list. So, we rolled our little, red wagon into the market for the twins to meet her. My friend and I greeted each other and I told her that I had brought my husband and the twins with me today. She came running out from behind the cement wall where she sells her goods to greet my family. Immediately she bowed down before Patrick and shook his hand and then walked over to greet the twins. What happened next just blew my mind. My friend then runs back to her station and comes back with shillings for both of the twins. This is huge in my book. This woman who has little to nothing is giving our family money. She then placed her hands on both of their heads and thanked God for them and our family. 

God quietly whispered: Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow. James 1:17

So right then and there I had seen and experienced the presence of God. The circumstances of that morning that were supposed to steal my joy God had just transformed into worship. Right there surrounded by the hustle and bustle of the market, I stopped. I tuned out everything that was going on around me and encountered God.  I truly believe that faith is alive and at this moment God confirmed my belief.

We were headed home and I stopped to visit with the family that sells us our mangoes and cucumbers. Usually, it is a mother and her two daughters. On this day it was just the girls. The youngest one has just captured my heart and after hearing that her mother was sick, I decided to buy some fruit and veggies. After my purchase, as we were walking away, the youngest daughter grabbed some fruit and ran and gave it two the twins. Well, at this point, I was crying in the street. This young girl had given us thousands of shillings of free fruit. This is huge when you make so very little every day.

God whispered: "For they all put in out of their surplus, but she, out of her poverty, put in all she owned, all she had to live on." Mark 12:44

What an incredible display from God that he had heard my prayers that morning. He intended to meet my needs that morning but not in the way that I expected. He did not send what we needed in one lump sum ,but He intentionally placed people all along my way that opened their hands and their hearts to our family.

Deuteronomy 15:8-"But you shall freely open your hand to him, and shall generously lend him sufficient for his need in whatever he lacks."

I was sufficiently loved on at this point but isn't it just like God to say, " I am not quite done yet, my child."

I was out delivering something to the children's school teacher later that afternoon. On my return home three young ladies carrying peanuts on their heads were walking my way. They started shouting at me, in a good way, so I stopped. They all three started hugging me at one time and then began taking peanuts out of their baskets and filling my hands. I told them that I did not have any money to pay but they started saying, " God told us to give you these peanuts, no charge." Well it was a good thing that I was the only person on the street at this time because I began to have a little church, if you know what I mean!

Wow! What a day! God turned my pity party into dancing and redirected my worries into worship. So, I began to shout His love right then and there on the street. God had just healed my doubts and confirmed His love, yet again. I am sure that there will be many more days that I feel discouraged and insufficient. I pray that on these days that I remember moments just like this and am encouraged to persevere.

1 comment:

  1. Kellee, what a blessing your comments are so others can see the power and goodness of our Provider. Yesterday was a rough day here with the weather but God provided for my need at the right time so I could get home safely. How wonderful it is to share with others so they may be more aware of the things God is doing for them that they don't realize. The Lord brought you to mind last night as I was cooking dinner and had a craving for tomato gravy and rice. LOL Soo good. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete