Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Jehovah-Jireh, "God Will Provide"

"Abraham called the name of that placeThe LORD Will Provide, as it is said to this day, "In the mount of the LORD it will be provided." Gen 22:14 NASB


If you see our van driving through town, you will see this scripture painted on our windows.

The reason we put it on our van was because God provided it. We were in the process of getting out of debt to apply with a prominent Bible translation organization, so we sold our old van. The money we made off selling it was exactly what we ended up paying for this new van (if you can call a 1999 with 190,000 miles "new").



"So then, none of you can be My disciple who does not give up all his own possessions." Luke 14:33 NASB

In order for us to get out of debt, we had to sell almost all of our possessions. This was hard at first. The house became empty of everything that held the memories of our past life in this land. But as the floors, cabinets, garage, and closets became empty, our home filled with faith and trust in God, and love for a people and country yet seen. The things that we once held dear were replaced with the greatest possession of all, Christ.

God is not a genie in a bottle providing anything you ask. The fact is, He has already provided all we could ever need in Jesus. He is the treasure. When He becomes really BIG in your heart, everything else seems insignificant - like what kind of house you have, or where you live, or what you wear. Comforts and privileges that are removed hold no value in the light of His mercy and grace. What you once valued turns to filthy rags in the presence of a Holy God.

The American Dream had consumed us. There was no way to carry my cross and follow after Christ (Luke 14:27) when my hands and heart were full of stuff. So I traded a nice van for one covered in scratches and duct tape, a mattress on the floor instead of my beautiful sleigh bed, hand-washing clothes instead of a front-loading washing machine, and eating on a blanket on the floor instead of my grand table for eight. Because I desire a better country and home, that is, a heavenly one. The trinkets of this world no longer appeal to me.

Abraham had waited years for Isaac, his son, who came through the blessings of entering covenant with God. Then to find out God wanted him to sacrifice Isaac. Why? Because it is in the sacrifice and laying everything on the altar of God that He reveals to us His all-satisfying Love. A love that is better than anything we may have to give up. A love worth leaving you home or country. A love that keeps its promises.

By faith, Abraham was willing to lay Isaac down because he knew he would be bringing him back down that mountain. God had already provided for Abraham and Sarah and he knew that He would provide again. Abraham was walking by faith in future grace because of the past grace that God had shown him. I too want to walk in this faith. I will be the alien, the pauper, the outcast in this world because I consider the reproach of Christ greater riches than all the treasures of this world. (Heb 11:26)

2 comments:

  1. Kelly,

    This is exciting. Nathan's cousin, his wife and 3 boys are missinaries with Wycliffe. They are in dar se lam, tanzania. His cousin Dwight is over IT. Tracy, Dwights wife has always been with Wycliffe. She grew up in Africia ( I think Uganda-that is where her mother is now, her father passed several years ago). Dwight an Tracy lived in Dodoma for years and after the birth of their second child they moved to Dar se lam. They have been in Tanzanzia for 12 or 13 years. I would be happy to put you touch with them if you would like. Nathan's aunt (Dwight's mother) just got back a a few weeks ago. She was there for 5 months as the Kindergarten teacher at the Haven of Peace Academy. the teacher went on maternity leave and returned to England(i think) to have her first child. Please keep us posted as you make your plans and Like I said if you want I will be happy to put you in touch with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am honored to call you my big sis! You and your family are an inspiration to me and everyone you come into contact with! My heart, thought and minds will follow you to your new country on your new journey! You have brought a light to my life over the past 18 years and I thank God for you and what you have taught me by your words and actions. You my dear friend are amazing!! I love you and can't wait to see this journey unfold!!

    ReplyDelete