Monday, June 27, 2011

If You Want Something Different, Then Pray For What You Have!

"Therefore I say to you, all things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them, and they will be granted you." Mark 11: 24 NASB

Two and a half years ago this is what I did. I embarked on a prayer journey for Patrick. Each day, walking in faith, that the requests that I made known to God on Patrick's behalf would be granted. And boy were they!
I had always prayed for Patrick but not persistently and definitely not expectantly. I would pray but underneath those prayers were ulterior motives. I would pray for God to heal but I wanted to supply the bandage. I would pray for God to move but I wanted to push. Are you getting the picture? I forgot that there were three in this marriage not two. I knew that our love had been formed from God and blessed by God but this Man was MINE! It was up to me, not the Holy Spirit, to convict, challenge, and form this handsome devil into exactly what I thought he should be.This was wrong on so many levels! So, after years of disastrous attempts to mold and make my sweet husband into what I thought he needed to be, God revealed to me that I had what I needed right in front of me! This revelation came during a pregnancy. During this time came true redemption for my husband and opened my eyes to the man that God had placed in my arms to love and cherish for a lifetime. God showed me that He possessed the power to convict and change lives. He assured me that if I would trust in Him, He would take care of the rest!

You see, two and a half years ago, God saw fit to bless our home with a set of fraternal twins. We already had four children and were busy but very fulfilled. Now we began planning to expand our family and stretch our budget on one income. I became so enormous that I had to move into the nursery so that Patrick and I could both get some sleep. One night as I lay there unable to go to bed, the Holy Spirit laid upon my heart my precious Patrick. I knew that he carried a large load supporting a family of six. Now, he was going to have two more mouths to feed, clothe and diaper.
Double Gulp!

I saw the stress increase in Patrick's life and knew that something had to change. That something was ME! I went to God and asked Him what I needed to do and for once in my life I listened. He spoke clear and loud, PRAY FOR HIM! He told me to pray for him for a year and for him alone. I was to pray for him from his head down to his toes and once I was done repeat again, again, and again. So, I embarked on a year long prayer pilgrimage for my husband. Morning, noon, and night I prayed for this dear man. After a year of removing myself from the picture and replacing it with God's unchanging Word, the glorious healing occurred. Gone were the days where I thought I knew best. Gone was the nagging, questioning, and interjections into our relationship. I prayed for God to rain down on him, and honey, He sent a tsunami! I remember the night so well when I finally had enough nerve(strength from the Holy Spirit) to confront Patrick with what God had called me to do over the past year. He was speechless. He looked at me with the most humble expression on his face. I told him what I had been praying and why I was called to pray. Then it happened. Right before my eyes! The old Patrick was transformed through the power of forgiveness and redemption that only Christ can deliver. It was truly amazing and even now it brings good ol' chill bumps! My hubby who I share life and breath with felt forgiven and empowered like I have never seen in anyone before. I believe, I believe, I believe in the power of prayer! Can I get an Amen!

In that year I learned that God is enough. He is all we need. He is my treasure. Nothing that I do or have my hands in has any value. I am flawed and He is perfect. As much as I love my husband, God loves him more! Hallelujah! I wanted my husband to be the biblical head of our home but how could I know what that looked like apart from what the scripture says? Oh, friend, it is beautiful. It is rich and sustaining and completes me as a woman. Knowing that I can turn to my best friend and hold hands and pray is indescribable. Reading and studying God's Word for hours each morning together is power. Isn't it just like God to take your requests and provide an answer that is one million times better than what you asked for?! The changes that I wanted for Patrick would have been comfortable but God changed him Radically!

As you have read, we have since answered a call to full time vocational missionary service. We are on an incredible journey and to be apart of Bible translation is awesome! The Word prayed, studied, and cried out, changed our home. We could not imagine not being able to study each and every day. Our prayer is to use our bodies as a living sacrifice to help put Bibles in as many languages as possible. Please continue to pray for our family in this endeavor.


My prayer for you, is that you will commit to pray for your spouse and let God have complete control over him/her. Let Him have the glory in your marriage and your home. I am going to leave you with a word from Kay Arthur. I would challenge you to order an Inductive Bible Study and experience for yourself how to have a marriage without regret! God Bless you my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment